Did You Know?
Fun Fact #1Turmeric is part of the ginger family, which explains the similar aroma and look of the root.
Fun Fact #2Turmeric has a pungent, slightly bitter flavor—a mix between ginger and pepper
Fun Fact #3Turmeric is named for where it is exported from, and also classified by the percentage of its main active ingredient, curcumin.
Fun Fact #4From India, there is Madras Finger Turmeric and Alleppey Finger Turmeric. Alleppey turmeric generally has a higher level or curcumin.
Fun Fact #5We source Alleppey turmeric, with bright yellow color and deep flavor.
Fun Fact #6Alleppey turmeric needs a tropical climate, like the regions of Kerala and Orissa where it is typically grown.
Fun Fact #7To process turmeric once it has been harvested, the rhizome (root) needs to be boiled, dried, and then polished to bring out the intense color of turmeric and help preserve the curcumin levels.
Fun Fact #8In medieval Europe, turmeric became known as Indian saffron because of the similar coloring properties, and has long been a common substitute.
Fun Fact #9Turmeric has been used as a spice and medicinal herb for thousands of years.
Fun Fact #10Scientific evidence has been building around the potential health benefits of curcumin, a compound in turmeric.
OUR TURMERIC SOURCING STORY
- We have sourced from our partner in India for over 20 years
- We source Alleppey turmeric
- Most of our turmeric comes from the Kerala and Orissa regions
- Turmeric is planted once per year, typically in May or June
- Grows for about 8 months on average before harvest
- Direct supply chain from source location to grinding and bottling