Come along as Chef Matthew Stowe, Director of Culinary Operations of the Joseph Richard Group in Vancouver, British Columbia, cooks a heavenly Thai Green Curry Congee. Plated with puffed wild rice, topped with poached eggs and garnished with int, basil and cilantro leaves, there will be no leftovers of this curry concoction!
For the Thai Sausage:
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix until evenly combined.
- Place mixture in the refrigerator for at least one hour to allow the flavors to develop.
For the Congee:
- Place a large stockpot on medium high heat.
- Add vegetable oil (1/4 cup) and sausage mixture. Using a spoon to break up sausage meat into small bite sized pieces. Continue to cook for 6-7 minutes until sausage begins to brown.
- Add green curry paste (1/2 cup), cinnamon (1/2 teaspoon), garlic cloves, galangal (1/4 cup), lemongrass (1/4 cup), lime leaves (5 each) and green onions and cook on medium heat for 5-6 minutes until aromatics have softened.
- Add uncooked white rice and cook for 3-4 minutes until toasted.
- Add water, Kosher salt and sugar (1 Tablespoon) and cook over medium low heat for 30 minutes.
- While white rice is cooking combine coconut milk, cilantro (1/4 cup) and green onions in a blender and puree on high speed for 1 minute.
- Once rice has cooked for 30 minutes add the coconut milk mixture and continue to cook for an additional 10 minutes.
For the Wild Rice:
- Heat a pot of oil to 400F.
- Add wild rice and cook for 20-30 seconds until rice has opened and puffed.
- Using a slotted spoon remove rice from oil and place on a paper towel lined tray to cool; season with salt.
- Once cool, store in a container with a tight fitting lid.
For the Assembly:
- Divide congee among 4 bowls. Place 2 poached eggs on top of each bowl. Garnish with basil, mint, cilantro leaves (2 teaspoons) and puffed rice around.
Puree coconut milk, green onions, cilantro and lime juice. Add mixture to congee and cook for 10 minutes on low heat to enhance flavor.
- Recipe type: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Asian