“More forks, please!” your guests will request, ready to dive into this latest dessert from Detroit Chef Ben Robinson. Who could turn down a savoury combination of fresh from scratch sponge cake, Thai Kitchen® Coconut Milk, house-made sorbet and hazelnuts spiced by McCormick Culinary® Coriander and Cinnamon. As an extra tasty treat, garnish each plate with remaining cake pieces, hazelnuts and fresh cilantro.
For the Berbere Sponge Cake:
- Bring coconut water and milk to a simmer. Hand blend in methylcellulose and cool.
- Cream together powdered sugar and coconut oil, slowly incorporate eggs.
- Whisk coconut mixture into the oil and eggs.
- Add in flour, berbere spice and McCormick Culinary® Sea Salt, Mediterranean Fine Grind and whisk until smooth, then strain through a chinoix.
- Load batter into a 1 pint ISI canister and charge twice.
- Fill paper cups halfway and "bake" in microwave for 45 seconds, or until set.
For the Coconut Milk Sorbet:
- Bring water to a simmer.
- Mix together sugar and stabilizer and whisk into water.
- Return water to a simmer and mix in invert sugar and glucose powder.
- Bring mixture to a boil for 30 second.
- Cool syrup and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Mix together syrup, Thai Kitchen® Coconut Milk, and McCormick Culinary® Pure Vanilla extract very well.
- Process the sorbet according to the instructions on your machine.
For the Spiced Candied Hazelnuts:
- Toast coriander then grind with McCormick Culinary® Cinnamon, Ground Korintji.
- Combine sugar and water and boil until sugar starts to turn golden brown.
- Immediately add hazelnut and stir until well coated in sugar.
- Remove from heat and stir in coconut oil to prevent the nuts from sticking to each other.
- Spread nuts onto a tray and dust with the spice mixture then allow to cool.
- Once cool gently chop nuts into half size pieces.
- Sprinkle a small amount of Berbere spice at the bottom of each bowl.
- Gently break each cake into 1 large piece and 3-4 smaller pieces. Place large pieces of cake on the left side of the bowl.
- Place a spoonful of hazelnuts to the right of the cake.
- Scoop coconut sorbet and place on top of the nuts, slightly resting on the cake.
- Garnish the plate with the remaining pieces of cake, hazelnut pieces, and fresh cilantro.
Find our "berbere seasoning blend" on www.mccormickforchefs.com along with other amazing blends!
Coconut Milk Sorbet makes a great "a la mode" to other dessert menu offerings or even as a stand alone dessert.
Spiced Candied Hazelnuts can be stored in an airtight container and make a great garnish for other desserts, salad selections and even appetizer and entree offerings.
- Recipe type: Desserts
- Cuisine: Ethiopian