The comfort food classic gets a modern makeover by swapping out white rice for the nutty ancient grain, farro. Keep it rooted in tradition by pairing it with a mug of warm, mulled cider.
For the Farro:
- Place the Farro in a heavy bottom pan, with water; bring to a boil for 10 minutes. Most all water should be absorbed.
- Remove from the stove top and cover. Allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- Place the Farro in a food processor, pulse until coarsely chop the Farro.
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Combine the Farro, milk, half and half sugar, salt, cinnamon, allspice and lemon peel, and vanilla in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Butter the inside of an oven-safe baking dish. Pour the mixture into the dish and place in the oven. Bake for 1 hour or until thick and creamy. Stir every 15 minutes.
For the Cider:
- Place spices in center of a piece of cheesecloth. Tie tightly with long piece of string.
- Place spice sachet in small saucepan. Add apple cider. Simmer over medium heat 10 to 15 minutes or until fragrant. Stir in vanilla. Discard spice sachet. Serve warm.