Warm slices of gingered bananas top crisp puff pastry for a simply spectacular dessert. Homemade coconut ice cream is a creamy, exotic complement. If short on time, purchased ice cream is a great alternative.
For the ice cream:
- Beat egg yolks and granulated sugar in medium saucepan with wire whisk 1 to 2 minutes or until pale yellow and thickened. Add cream and coconut milk; whisk until well blended. Stirring constantly, cook on medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat.
- Strain custard into medium metal bowl. Stir in vanilla. Place bowl over ice water bath. Stir custard occasionally until cooled.
- Refrigerate at least 3 hours or until well chilled. Pour into an ice cream maker. Churn according to manufacturer's directions.
For the tart:
- Pour 2 tablespoons butter into each of 4 shallow individual baking dishes or ramekins. Sprinkle each evenly with 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of the ginger. Layer 1 sliced banana in each dish, overlapping slices as necessary.
- Top with puff pastry, tucking corners in. Place baking dishes on shallow baking pan. Bake in preheated 400ºF oven 20 to 25 minutes or until pastry is puffed and golden brown and filling is bubbly.
- Serve warm with coconut ice-cream, and garnish with flaked coconut.
- Recipe type: Desserts
- Cuisine: America