A colada-infused cake concoction worth getting caught in the rain for, Chef Christopher Siu’s Pina Colada Chomeur is the perfect treat for diners after a long day of adulting. Fluffed and puffed on a foundation of coconut rum caramel and smoothed with a silky cup of Thai Kitchen Coconut Milk, you best believe bowls will be flying from the back of house when you introduce this best new baked addition to your next menu. For the ultimate dessert experience, serve with ice cream garnished with the remaining caramel mix.
For the Coconut Rum Caramel:
- Combine sugar (1 cup) with water (3 tbsp) and bring to a boil. Continue to cook until caramel reaches a brown color.
- Immediately remove from heat and add in remaining ingredients. Return to heat and stir with a whisk until caramel is smooth.
For the Cake:
- Cream butter, sugar (¼ cup) and corn syrup together for several minutes with beaters.
- Add the egg and coconut milk ( ¾ cup) and continue to mix until smooth.
- Sift flour, baking soda and cinnamon in a separate bowl.
- Add to creamed butter mixture with pineapple and gently mix until just combined.
For Baking and Assembly:
- Preheat oven at 350F.
- Take a ramekin and grease lightly with butter and fill the ramekin 1/3 of the way with the Rum Coconut Caramel.
- Pour cake batter on top of the caramel until the mixture reaches about 3/4 up the ramekin.
- Stir the cake batter lightly in the ramekin to combine slightly with the caramel at the bottom.
- Finish by pouring caramel on top to fill up the remaining space.
- Bake for 25 minutes until the cake has puffed and the syrup bubbles out the edges.
- Serve the pudding in a bowl or in the ramekin with a scoop of ice cream and the remaining caramel.
- Recipe type: Desserts
- Cuisine: America