Created by Culinary Chef Instructor John Higgins of George Brown College in Toronto, Canada, this meatless Monday cassoulet is made with McCormick Culinary's ground oregano and sauces of dry white wine, tomatoes, srirachas and soys. It's guaranteed to make your mouth water with additional guarantees of gold crusts and ongoing cravings.
For the Meatless Monday Cassoulet:
- Drain the canned beans and wash them well under cold water. Place the beans in a large bowl.
- Pour half of the olive oil in a large saute pan. Allow the oil to heat and add the onions and celery and saute for a few minutes until soft.
- Add the mushrooms, garlic and herbs. Cook until the mushrooms have some color, for approximately 8 minutes or until the vegetables have softened, then add to the bean mixture. Set aside.
- Place the remaining olive oil in the pan. Saute the carrots and peppers.
- Add the white wine and cook for approximately 10 minutes or until wine reduced. Combine with the prepared bean mixture.
- Add the tomato sauce, soy sauce and Sriracha sauce. Season and mix well to taste.
For the Meatless Monday Cassoulet Topping:
- Rub the bread with the olive oil and sprinkle Garlic Plus Seasoning (or Lawry's Roasted Garlic Seasoning with a Touch of Sea Salt) and McCormick Culinary Ground Oregano.
- Arrange the bean vegetable mixture in a casserole.
- Arrange the bread slices on top of the bean mixture and dust with cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake (in a preheated oven) at 375F for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for another 15 minutes or until the crust is golden.
If Garlic Plus Seasoning is unavailable in your market, you can make an equal substitute with Lawry's Roasted Garlic Seasoning with a Touch of Sea Salt or adjust to taste.
- Recipe type: Entrees
- Cuisine: Canadian