For the mint yogurt:
- Mix yogurt and mint in small bowl until. Cover. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
For the main recipe:
- Heat oil in large skillet on medium heat. Add onion, 2 tablespoons of the barberries, garlic powder, allspice, cumin, paprika, sea salt, and pepper; cook and stir until onions and barberries are tender, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Mix lamb, egg, panko and cooled onion mixture in large bowl. Shape into 20 (1 1/2") meatballs.
- Brown meatballs, in batches if necessary, in same large skillet on medium heat. Remove meatballs from skillet. Set aside.
- Cook and stir shallots in same skillet on medium heat until golden brown. Stir in remaining ingredients and another 1 tablespoon barberries. Bring to boil. Return meatballs to skillet. Reduce heat and simmer until meatballs are cooked through and sauce is slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Serve meatballs and sauce topped with the mint yogurt and remaining 1 tablespoon barberries.
Makes a great appetizer or even wrap it in a pita for a sandwich special!
- Recipe type: Entrees
- Cuisine: Persian
- NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving)
- Calories: 190 cal
- Sodium: 338 mg
- Carbohydrates: 14 g
- Protein: 11 g