Fresh tomato-based soup gets all dressed up with cracked fennel, zucchini noodles, and a perfectly poached egg! A variety of seasonings, including fennel, coriander, and dill combine with garlic and dry white wine to create a mouth-watering broth that’s ready for your table in an hour.
- Remove and core stems of the 4 medium tomatoes, then make an X in the bottom of each tomato. Place tomatoes in 2-quart saucepan of boiling water for 30 to 45 seconds. Transfer tomatoes with slotted spoon to large bowl of ice water for 1 minute. Peel off skin, then cut tomatoes in half. Remove the seeds of the tomatoes and place them in medium bowl with any liquid from inside the tomatoes. Set aside. Coarsely chop the seeded tomatoes and place them in another medium bowl. Strain liquid from seeds into bowl with the chopped tomatoes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in 4-quart saucepan on medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 4 to 5 minutes or until softened. Add cracked fennel, coriander, garlic, and roasted pepper; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add wine; cook 5 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes with liquid, stock, dill, and sea salt; simmer 15 minutes.
- Carefully pour soup into food processor or blender container; cover. With center part of cover removed to let steam escape, process until coarsely pureed. Blend on medium speed 2 minutes. Blend on high speed 2 minutes or until smooth. Return soup to the 4-quart saucepan. Keep warm.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add diced fennel; cook and stir 3 to 4 minutes or until soft and lightly caramelized. Add zucchini; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until tender-crisp.
- Divide fennel-zucchini mixture and grape tomatoes evenly among 6 serving bowls. Ladle each with the pureed tomato soup. Top each with a poached egg.
To crack the fennel and coriander seeds, place them in a large resealable plastic bag. Close tightly. Pound with a mallet, back of a heavy spoon or heavy skillet until seeds are cracked. If tomatoes are not in season, use 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained, in Step 2, in place of blanching, peeling and chopping the 4 medium tomatoes. To poach eggs: Fill large deep saucepan with 2 inches of water. Add 1 tablespoon vinegar. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium. Break 1 egg into small dish. Gently stir water in one spot and carefully slide egg into simmering water (bubbles should begin to break the surface of the water). Repeat with remaining eggs. Poach eggs 3 to 5 minutes or until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken. Carefully remove eggs with slotted spoon. Drain on paper towels.
- Recipe type: Salads
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving)
- Calories: 234 cal
- Sodium: 414 mg
- Carbohydrates: 11 g
- Protein: 9 g