This beet appetizer is fresh, light and creative thanks to the addition of Rosemary Cured Egg Yolks. Layer upon layer of flavor starts with thin-sliced beets and arugula. Drizzle with a tangy dressing, and thinly slice or grate remaining cured egg yolk on top for one final pop of deliciousness.
- Place beets in large saucepan, adding enough water to cover. Add vinegar or lemon juice (this will help keep the beets from bleeding). Bring to boil on high heat. Reduce heat to medium; simmer until beets are tender, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Rinse beets under cold running water until cool enough to handle. Drain and set aside. (Note: Beets can be prepared up to 2 weeks ahead. If making ahead, do not drain beet liquid in pan. Instead, peel beets and return to pan with liquid. Cover and store in refrigerator until ready to use. Continue as directed with remaining recipe below.)
- Meanwhile, place 1 cured egg yolk, mustard, lemon juice, and rosemary in food processor or blender container; cover. Process until smooth. With center part of cover removed and machine running, gradually add oil until well blended. Season with sea salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Peel beets. Slice them into very thin round slices using a mandolin or slicing blade of a food processor. Spread the beet slices in a thin layer on a serving platter. Top with arugula. Drizzle with the cured yolk dressing. Using a vegetable peeler, thinly slice the remaining cured egg yolk over the beet carpaccio salad, or use a microplane to grate the cured egg yolk. Sprinkle with chopped cashews and additional freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Egg Safety and Handling
- Consuming raw or undercooked eggs may increase your risk of foodborne illness. Wash hands with soap and warm water before handling eggs and at every step of egg preparation.
Visit http://mccormickforchefs.com/Recipes/R/Rosemary-Garlic-Cured-Egg-Yolks for the Rosemary Garlic Cured Egg Yolks recipe.
- Recipe type: Sides
- Cuisine: Italian
- NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving)
- Calories: 169 cal
- Sodium: 489 mg
- Carbohydrates: 10 g
- Protein: 3 g