This hearty, meat-free twist on classic tacos al pastor features a protein-packed filling of spiced pigeon peas, tomatoes, and pineapple paired with a cooling coconut-lime cabbage slaw.
For the Slaw:
- Mix lime juice, olive oil, and honey in medium bowl until well blended. Add cabbage, coconut, and cilantro; toss to coat. Cover. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
For the Tacos:
- Heat oil in large skillet on medium heat. Add tomatoes and pineapple; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until softened.
- Add pigeon peas and seasonings; cook and stir until heated through.
For Plating & Serving:
- Serve pigeon pea mixture in warm taco shells topped with slaw.
Pigeon peas are considered a pulse in the legume family, and range from green to brownish in color. However, when skinned and split, they are yellow in color and known as Toor dal or Toovar dal. Pigeon peas have a pleasant, slightly sweet, nutty taste. They are commonly found dried or canned in most groceries, Latin, and Indian markets or online specialty stores.
- Recipe type: Entrees
- Cuisine: Mexican
- NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving)
- Calories: 260 cal
- Sodium: 300 mg
- Carbohydrates: 37 g
- Protein: 6 g