"Would you like tots with that?!" Our homemade tater tots are an easy way to add a creative and craveable flair to any menu. Loaded with mashed potatoes these tots are full of flavor with an upscale-inspired version of everyone's favorite school lunch treat!
For the Mashed Potatoes:
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Salt liberally. Bring to a boil and cook until tender. Drain potatoes and run under cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Beat on lowest setting until potatoes are mashed.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir until well combined.
For the Tots:
- Preheat fryer to 350°F. In a large bowl, gently fold together potatoes, egg, bacon, flour, cheese, and seasonings. Using a #30 scoop, portion out tots and form into cylinders.
- Place panko in a shallow dish. Roll each tot in panko until evenly coated. Fry until golden brown.
For Garnish & Serving:
- Serve immediately with sour cream on the side, garnish with scallions.
After tots are rolled in panko, they can be frozen and held for up to 2 weeks.
For a healthier alternative to frying, try our baking option: bake at 350°F for 15 minutes.
This recipe makes 12-16 sized tots as pictured, larger or smaller, based on your preference/service needs. Each serving shown would be approximately 3-4 tots per serving.
- Recipe type: Sides
- Cuisine: Cheesesteak
- NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving)
- Calories: 450
- Sodium: 740 mg
- Carbohydrates: 25 g
- Protein: 12 g