Think outside the box and start the day with a traditional Middle Eastern hash. Tender chickpeas, ground lamb or beef, and butternut squash seasoned with a blend of coriander, cumin, and fennel are the star of the bowl. Add skhug, a popular Middle Eastern hot sauce, for a tangy-savory spiciness that’ll keep you and guests coming back for more. Top it off with a dollop of creamy skhug ricotta and diced cucumber.
- Mix ricotta cheese and 1 tablespoon of the skhug sauce in small bowl until well blended. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Reserve remaining Skhug Sauce to flavor the lamb hash.
- Mix all of the dry spices in small bowl. Set aside.
- Place squash on microwavable plate with 2 tablespoons of water. Cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on HIGH 3 minutes or until softened. Uncover and set aside.
- Heat large skillet on medium-high heat. Add lamb; cook and stir 3 minutes. Add 2 teaspoons of the dry spice mixture; cook and stir until lamb is no longer pink. With slotted spoon, remove lamb from skillet and set aside. Add onion, squash and eggplant; cook and stir on medium-high heat 5 to 6 minutes. Add chickpeas, garlic and remaining spice mixture; cook and stir 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and browned lamb; cook until squash is tender. Stir in spinach, lemon juice and reserved skhug sauce; cook until spinach is just wilted.
- Spoon chickpea and lamb hash into serving bowls. Top with diced cucumber and a dollop of the skhug ricotta
Visit http://mccormickforchefs.com/Recipes/S/Skhug-Sauce for the Skhug Hot Sauce recipe.
- Recipe type: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Israeli
- NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving)
- Calories: 353 cal
- Sodium: 487 mg
- Carbohydrates: 26 g
- Protein: 15 g