In this brunch recipe, the plancha–a thick, flat slab of cast iron–acts as a griddle for the grill, adding rich, caramelized flavor to cinnamon apple slices. Fluffy pancakes surround this sweet apple mixture and cook up evenly and quickly, thanks to the hot cast iron surface. Top with a generous drizzle of decadent Sherry Carmel Sauce for an indulgent finish worth getting out of bed for.
For the caramel sauce:
- Place brown sugar, cream, cold unsalted butter, and 1/8teaspoon sea salt in medium saucepan on medium heat. Cook and stir gently with a whisk until thickened, about 6 to 7 minutes. Carefully stir in sherry and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Whisking constantly, cook 2 minutes longer or until sauce coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat. Set aside.
For the main recipe:
- Mix flour, milk, egg, 2 tablespoons of the melted butter, granulated sugar, vanilla, baking soda, and 1/8 teaspoon sea salt with a whisk in medium bowl until smooth.
- Using a 2 to 2 1/2" round cookie or biscuit cutter, cut out center of each apple round to create an apple ring. Finely chop the center of the apples, discarding any core or seeds. Place apple rings and chopped apples in large bowl. Add lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg; toss to coat.
- Heat plancha (flat cast-iron griddle) on grill over medium heat. Brush plancha with 1 tablespoon melted butter. Place chopped apples on the plancha. Cook and stir until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Move chopped apples to back of plancha.
- Brush plancha again with remaining tablespoon melted butter. Place apple rings on the plancha. Cook until golden and slightly softened, about 1 to 2 minutes per side. (Depending on the size of your plancha, may need to cook apples in batches. Or, cook the chopped apples first, followed by the apple rings.)
- Place the chopped apples into center of each apple ring. Pour 1 to 2 tablespoons pancake batter directly over the chopped apples in center of each apple ring. Cook 1 to 2 minutes per side or until golden brown, turning when batter begins to set.
- To serve, stack 2 apple pancakes on a plate and drizzle with about 2 tablespoons Sherry Caramel Sauce. Top with fresh whipped cream, if desired. (Cover and store remaining sauce in refrigerator for another use.)
- Recipe type: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving)
- Calories: 561 cal
- Sodium: 221 mg
- Carbohydrates: 77 g
- Protein: 7 g