In this delicious twist on the favorite cinnamon oatmeal raisin cookie, an oatmeal cookie crust is layered with a tangy buttermilk custard, sweet rum raisin sauce, and a crunchy oat crumble. A drizzle of confectioners’ sugar and buttermilk glaze completes the classic pairing of milk and cookies.
For the raisin sauce:
- Place raisins, water, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and rum extract in blender container; cover. Blend on high speed until smooth. Pour into medium saucepan. Cook on medium heat 10 to 12 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. Set aside.
For the main recipe:
- Place 1/2 cup of the oats in food processor. Pulse to coarsely chop. Add flour, brown sugar, and 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon; pulse to mix well. Add cold butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add 2 tablespoons of the buttermilk; pulse to mix well. Reserve 1/4 cup in small bowl. Press remaining oat mixture into bottom of 9" square greased foil-lined baking pan. Mix reserved oat mixture and remaining 1/4 cup oats. Spread on small baking sheet.
- Bake crust and oat crumble together in preheated 425ºF oven 8 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove crust and oat crumble from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 325ºF. Reserve oat crumble for serving. Pour Rum Raisin Sauce into prepared crust.
- Meanwhile, mix granulated sugar and melted butter in large bowl with wire whisk until well blended. Add eggs, mix well. Stir in 1/2 cup of the remaining buttermilk, remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and1 teaspoon vanilla. Pour over sauce in crust.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until custard is set and just golden brown around the edges. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Just before serving, mix confectioners' sugar and remaining 2 tablespoons buttermilk until smooth. Sprinkle top of cooled dessert with oat crumble then drizzle with glaze. Cut into bars.
- Recipe type: Desserts
- Cuisine: America
- Prep time: 25 minutes
- NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving)
- Calories: 451 cal
- Sodium: 171 mg
- Carbohydrates: 72 g
- Protein: 7 g