Sunny-side-up egg yolks are simmered in a tomato and vegetable sauce, infused with a savory Middle Eastern spice blend of smoked paprika, cumin, pepper, cayenne, turmeric, and caraway. Grab a large spoon, a hunk of bread (to soak up all the savory sauce) and dig into this rustic comfort meal.
For the shakshuka spice blend:
- Mix ingredients 1-9 in small bowl until well blended. Set aside.
For the main recipe:
- Heat oil in large cast iron skillet on medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 5 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Add eggplant and zucchini; cook and stir 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add 1 tablespoon of the spice blend, salt, dill, and ground fennel; stir to coat vegetables.
- Increase heat to medium. Add tomatoes; cook and stir constantly 3 to 5 minutes or until sauce has thickened slightly.
- Reduce heat to low. Make 6 indentations in sauce mixture with back of wooden spoon. Break eggs into each indentation. Cover. Cook 10 to 15 minutes (10 minutes for soft yolks or 15 minutes for firm yolks). Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with crusty bread.
- Shakshuka Spice Blend is a savory mix of cumin, smoked paprika, black pepper, caraway, garlic, turmeric, cinnamon and red pepper. It is a favorite seasoning throughout North Africa and the Middle East, and growing in popularity around the globe.
- Store the leftover Shakshuka Spice Blend in tightly covered jar in cool, dry place.
- Use the leftover Shakshuka Spice Blend to prepare a classic shakshuka or create your own twist.
- Recipe type: Entrees
- Cuisine: Israeli
- NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving)
- Calories: 147 cal
- Sodium: 552 mg
- Carbohydrates: 12 g
- Protein: 9 g