Traditionally Gado Gado is served as a medley of vegetables, hard-boiled egg, crunchy prawn crackers, and peanut dressing. We’re taking ours to the next level with a trendy egg swap: umami-loaded quick cured egg yolks. Puffed, golden-brown shrimp toast serves as an addictive final garnish.
For the dressing:
- Mix peanut butter, rice vinegar, light brown sugar, fish sauce, lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder in medium bowl with wire whisk until smooth. (If a thicker dressing is desired, whisk in an additional 1 tablespoon peanut butter). Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
For the main recipe:
- Mix shrimp, 1 of the egg whites, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2teaspoon ground ginger, and 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper in small bowl until blended. Gently stir in cilantro and green onion.
- Spread shrimp mixture evenly among 3 slices of bread. Top each with a second slice of bread to make 3 sandwiches. Quarter each sandwich into 4 triangles to make 12 shrimp toasts.
- Beat remaining 2 egg whites, 2 cured egg yolks, and water in medium bowl. Place panko in a shallow dish. Dip each triangle into egg mixture, then coat in panko. Discard any remaining egg mixture and panko.
- Heat 1" of oil in large skillet on medium heat until temperature reaches 350ºF. Add breaded triangles into oil; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown, turning frequently. Drain on paper towels.
- Divide all of the vegetables among 6 plates. Top each with a cured egg yolk and 2 shrimp toasts. Serve with the spicy peanut dressing.
Egg Safety and Handling
- Consuming raw or undercooked eggs may increase your risk of foodborne illness. Wash hands with soap and warm water before handling eggs and at every step of egg preparation.
For the Soy Ginger Cured Egg Yolks visit: http://www.mccormickforchefs.com/recipes/sauces-condiments-and-spreads/soy-ginger-cured-egg-yolks
- Recipe type: Salads Lettuce Wraps and Side Salads
- Cuisine: Indoesian
- NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving)
- Calories: 420
- Sodium: 880 mg
- Carbohydrates: 28 g
- Protein: 17 g