Packed with nutrients, color and texture, this salad features black beluga lentils, ripe peaches, crunchy pecans, tangy Peppadew peppers and fresh arugula all dressed in a tarragon mustard vinaigrette.
For the vinaigrette:
- Mix olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, ground mustard, sugar, tarragon, sea salt, and black pepper in small bowl with wire whisk until well blended. Set aside.
For the salad:
- Rinse and drain lentils. Place lentils and water in medium saucepan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse under cold water. Let drain 15 minutes.
For the main recipe:
- Place lentils in large serving bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of the vinaigrette to lentils; toss to coat. Add 1/2 cup of the peaches, 2 tablespoons of the pecans, the peppers, 3/4 tablespoon of the red onions and another 1 tablespoon of the vinaigrette; toss gently to coat. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Place remaining peaches, pecans, peppers and red onion on top of the lentil salad. Arrange arugula around the lentil salad. Drizzle remaining vinaigrette over the salad.
Black beluga lentils are small, shiny black when cooked - resembling caviar. They have a mild, earthy flavor and soft texture. They are most commonly found dried in natural food stores, the organic section of some supermarkets or online specialty stores. Peppadew peppers are a sweet, slightly spicy South African pepper that can be found in the jarred olive and pickle aisle of most groceries or online specialty stores.
- Recipe type: Salads Lettuce Wraps and Side Salads
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving)
- Calories: 220 cal
- Sodium: 190 mg
- Carbohydrates: 24 g
- Protein: 6 g