Hummus and bean dips are mainstays in mezze, the casual appetizer course that begins many Middle Eastern meals. This vibrant take features roasted beets, creamy white beans, tahini, cumin, and garlic. Serve with pita bread.
- Wrap beets in foil. Place in shallow baking pan. Roast in preheated 425ºF oven 1 hour or until beets are tender when pierced with small knife. Cool until able to handle. Peel and coarsely chop beets.
- Drain beans, reserving 1/4 cup of the liquid. Place beets, beans, tahini, lemon juice, and seasonings in food processor; cover. Process until smooth, scraping down sides as necessary. Add reserved liquid; process until smooth. Spoon dip into small bowl. Cover. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To serve, drizzle dip with olive oil. Garnish with chopped toasted pistachios or pepitas, if desired. Serve with warm pita wedges or pita chips.
- Recipe type: Sauces Condiments and Spreads
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving)
- Calories: 25 cal
- Sodium: 97 mg
- Carbohydrates: 3 g
- Protein: 1 g