This roasted eggplant spread takes on new life with the addition of harissa seasoning. Serving the caponata on toasted baguette completes the dish. This recipe features our new Global Blends Harissa Seasoning.
- Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add onions, celery and cook, stirring until tender. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant.
- Add chopped roasted eggplant, salt and harissa seasoning. Cook, stirring until eggplant begins to fall apart.
- Add diced tomatoes and red pepper puree. Cook, continuing to stir until mixture begins to thicken and tomatoes have cooked down. Stir in honey, capers, olives and vinegar. Continue to cook down until mixture is fairly thick and flavors have melded together.
- Remove from heat and cool completely. Cover and refrigerate until service.
- Set oven to 350°F. Brush both sides of the baguette slices with olive oil. Set on a parchment lined sheet tray.
- Sprinkle with harissa seasoning. Bake until slices are well toasted. Cool completely and hold at room temperature in an airtight container for service.
- For each serving, top six toasts each with 1 tablespoon of caponata mixture. Plate as desired. Serve at room temperature.
Perfect as an appetizer, pass hor d'oevres or served on its own as a dip! Also a great spread on vegetarian sandwiches.
- Recipe type: Appetizers
- Cuisine: Moroccan