Foreign & Domestic’s Fried Pickled Green Tomatoes with Black Pepper Gastrique elevates this key Southern dish to new flavor heights. Tangy green tomato slices tossed in McCormick Culinary® Ground Black Pepper and Dark Chili Powder with a hint of Fine Grind Mediterranean Sea Salt are topped with a biting black pepper gastrique drizzle. Flavorful and friendly for any daypart, offer this craveable dish on your menu and watch for return customers!
For the Black Pepper Gastrique:
- Make a dry caramel with sugar.
- Once caramel is light brown add apple cider vinegar and McCormick Culinary® Black Pepper, Ground.
- Reduce until viscous and reserve.
For the Fried Pickled Green Tomatoes:
- Slice green tomatoes and toss with vinegar, McCormick Culinary® Sea Salt, Mediterranean Fine Grind and McCormick Culinary® Black Pepper, Ground. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Dip tomatoes in flour, coating completely, and knocking off any excess flour.
- Dip tomatoes in buttermilk and then peppered cornmeal.
- Fry tomatoes until golden brown and place on drying rack.
- Season to taste with McCormick Culinary® Chili Powder and McCormick Culinary® Sea Salt, Mediterranean Fine Grind.
- Stack Fried Pickled Green Tomatoes on a place and drizzle with Black Pepper Gastrique then serve.
If making in advance and or for quantity cooking, once fried and seasoned hold in a warm oven (200F) on a rack in a single layer and serve as recipe instructs.
- Recipe type: Appetizers
- Cuisine: Contemporary American