Crispy Mexican pastries filled with a hot blend of pulled pork and melted cheese seasoned with Cholula® Chipotle Hot Sauce.
Chili Lime Pico de Gallo
- In a bowl, combine tomatoes, onion, and cilantro.
- Add Cholula, and incorporate well. Hold refrigerated for service.
- In a heavy bottom pan over medium high heat, heat oil and sauté onion, jalapeno and garlic until soft and fragrant.
- Add pork and Cholula. Stir and heat through. Remove from heat.
- Add cheese and cilantro, stir to incorporate. Refrigerate to chill.
- In a stand mixer, with a dough hook combine flour, water, shortening, egg, egg white, vinegar, and salt. Mix on low speed until a ball forms. Allow to rest 5 minutes.
- Turn out, onto clean surface and knead until smooth. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before using.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature.
- On clean floured surface, roll dough to 1/8th inch thick. Cut 5-inch rounds from the dough.
- Place a #32 scoop of filling in center of dough round. Wet one half of edge and fold dough over filling, making a half moon shape. Press to seal edges and press again on both sides with a fork.
- Set fryer to 350°F. For each serving, fry 3 empanadas until golden brown.
- Plate empanadas as desired alongside 1/4 cup Pico de Gallo. Serve hot.
Empanadas can be wrapped well and frozen. They should be thawed prior to frying.