Try this tasty and aromatic twist with your biscuits!
- Sift together flour, baking soda and baking powder in a medium sized bowl.
- Whisk in salt, thyme and orange peel.
- Cut shortening into flour mixture by pressing it between finger tips, resulting in flakes of shortening throughout the flour mixture.
- Form a well in the center of the flour mixture.
- Slowly add the buttermilk, gently mixing into the flour mixture until the dough just starts to come together.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface.
- Press down into a 1" high rectangle and fold in half. Repeat twice, finishing with a 1" high rectangle.
- Cut dough into desired shape and place on parchment lined sheet tray.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Bake at 425F (in a preheated oven) for 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- (Note: this recipe makes 12 servings)
Play around with biscuit flavors by switching up the herbs and spices. This is a great biscuit dough without the thyme and orange peel that can easily be transformed to a new and exciting flavor profile. Start with anywhere from 1/2-1 teaspoon of the desired spice(s)/herb(s) to change things up!
- Recipe type: Breads
- Cuisine: North American
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving)
- Calories: 140
- Sodium: 300mg
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Protein: 3g