A handheld twist on a classic is packed with peppers and onions for veggie lovers and mac and cheese lovers alike! Fun and delicious for mac and cheese fans of all ages and an ingenious way to sneak in some extra veggies!
For the Vegetables:
- Heat a large sauce pan over medium-high heat. Melt 1-1/2 teaspoon of butter and add peppers and onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions and peppers have softened and slightly charred, about 5 minutes. Season with 1 teaspoon of fajita seasoning marinade savory and cook for an additional few minutes. Set aside.
For the Mac & Cheese:
- Bring water to a boil in an 8 quart stockpot, then heavily salt the water. Once at a rapid boil, add the pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until pasta is al dente.
- Meanwhile in a medium sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat. Sprinkle with flour and cook until flour has slightly browned, about 1-2 minutes. Slowly add milk, stirring consistently. Bring mixture to a boil, continuing to stir, reduce heat to low and add cheeses. Stir until cheeses are fully melted. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of fajita seasoning.
- When pasta is fully cooked, drain off water and add back to the same pot, then pour cheese sauce over top of pasta and stir until evenly distributed.
For the Quesadillas & Assembly:
- Heat a clean, learge saute pan or flattop grill to medium-high heat. Spray with oil and place the tortilla down.
- Spread 1/2 cup of mac and cheese over one half of tortilla. Top with 1/3 cup of vegetable mixture. Then top with another 1/2 cup of mac and cheese.
- When tortilla is golden brown, fold empty side over filling. Transfer to a cutting board and slice into 4 wedges.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients. Serve warm.
You can make the mac & cheese and vegetables ahead of time and hold (either cold or warm) for service. Follow step 5 from start to finish and viola! (Note: if holding mac & cheese & vegetables cold, reheat prior to assembling quesadilla.)
- Recipe type: Burgers Tacos and Sandwiches
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving)
- Calories: 660
- Sodium: 1280 mg
- Carbohydrates: 89 g
- Protein: 25 g