A spiced, dairy-free version of the classic dessert, Pumpkin Pie Spice adds flavors of warm spices making this a fall favorite.
This recipe was developed for the Flavor Forecast: Looking Back to Look Forward.
- Set oven to 325°F. In a saucepan over medium heat combine coconut milk, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla, and salt. Whisk to incorporate and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment combine eggs, yolks and sugar. Beat until volume has increased and color is a pale yellow. With mixer on medium, slowly temper hot coconut milk into egg mixture. Whisk until fully incorporated.
- Strain custard mixture through sieve into pitcher. Divide custard mixture evenly between desired ramekins. Place ramekins in a 4" hotel pan. Add boiling water half way up the edge of the ramekins. Bake until custard has set, about 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and carefully take out of hotel pan. Cool completely and hold refrigerated for service.
- For each serving, dust 2 tablespoons of demerara sugar over the top of a prepared custard. Melt sugar using a blowtorch until caramelized. Garnish as desired and serve.
The spices in this dessert can be changed up to create a variety of flavors of crème brûlée! Try cardamom or even our new Moroccan Seasoning for some different flavors.