A clear Agar Agar seasoning sheet loaded with fresh lemon zest and juice, garlic, ginger, black pepper and toasted sesame seeds is as delicious as it is beautiful for seasoning poached cod, halibut and sea bass.
- In a heavy bottom saucepan, whisk water and agar agar together and heat while whisking to a simmer. Bubbles will form on the bottom of the pan. Lower heat and stir with a rubber spatula until mixture becomes clear, just a minute or two. Remove from heat and continue to stir.
- In a bowl, combine lemon juice and zest, garlic, sesame seeds, ginger, oil, pepper and salt. Mix well.
- Add warm water thickened with agar agar to the other ingredients and whisk well to combine. Allow to cool slightly but not under about 95°F, at which point it will gel. Add Dulse Seaweed and mix to combine.
- Lay a sheet of plastic wrap over a parchment-lined sheet tray. Use a tablespoon to mix all ingredients. Pour 1 1/2 tablespoon mixture over a portion of plastic wrap that is about the size of fish portion to be seasoned. It will gel in 5 to 10 minutes or faster if refrigerated. Cut the wrap between portions of gel and leave the gel on plastic.
- In a heavy bottom pot, bring stock to a boil and reduce to just below a simmer. Add fish and adjust temperature of stock to 140°F to 145°F . Poach until fish is cooked and flaky.
- In a heated serving bowl, arrange 1 1/2 cups seaweed as desired and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons edamame peas.
- Remove fish from poaching stock and immediately invert the gel on plastic over the fish and gently peel back the plastic. Pour 1/2 cup of hot stock over prepared dish and plate fish over seaweed. Drizzle an additional tablespoon of hot stock over Agar Agar sheets, and serve immediately.
These sheets are very delicate, handling them with plastic wrap is the best procedure.
The fish skin can be removed prior to poaching and crisped to be used as garnish if desired.