Rendang is a rich slow-cooked beef curry popular throughout Southeast Asia, especially in Malaysia. In this recipe, mild coconut rice pairs with the bold, fragrant flavors of the curry, including chilies, lemongrass, ginger, garlic, kaffir lime leaves, and spices.
For the Short Ribs:
- Coat short ribs with 1/2 cup of the rendang curry in large bowl. Cover. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight for extra flavor.
- Heat oil in 5-quart Dutch oven or ovenproof saucepot on medium-high heat. Add 1/2 of the short ribs; cook 5 to 10 minutes or until browned on all sides. Remove from Dutch oven. Repeat with remaining short ribs. Add coconut milk, beef stock, lime leaves, and lemongrass. Bring to boil, stirring to loosen browned bits in bottom of Dutch oven. Return short ribs to Dutch oven, stirring to partially cover short ribs in liquid. Cover.
- Braise in preheated 300ºF oven 3 hours or until short ribs are tender. Remove lime leaves and lemongrass. Skim fat from liquid. Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon rendang curry. Return Dutch oven to stovetop and heat through.
For the Coconut Rice:
- Meanwhile, bring water and coconut milk to boil in medium saucepan on medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add rice; return to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 18 to 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Let stand 5 minutes. Add lime juice; fluff rice with fork.
For the Main Recipe:
- Divide short ribs among serving plates. Top each rib with sauce from pot. Serve rice next to ribs. Sprinkle both with cilantro.
- Recipe type: Entrees
- Cuisine: Indoesian
- NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving)
- Calories: 880 cal
- Sodium: 310 mg
- Carbohydrates: 48 g
- Protein: 29 g