This dish is incredibly satisfying because of the rich sauce and the satisfying variety of textures. The turmeric takes the otherwise classic sauce to a new level, and the techniques used to give multiple textures to the zucchini make every bite of this dish complex and unique.
- Press tofu between two weighted sheet trays.
- Slice the tofu into four slices.
- Over low heat poach the tofu in vegetable stock for 45 minutes.
- Remove from liquid and let cool.
- Cut the yuba sheets into rectangles slightly smaller than the tofu.
- Mix the potato starch with water to form a slurry.
- Stack the yuba into piles of 5. Spread some slurry on the tofu.
- Dip the yuba into water and gently place on top of the tofu.
For Turmeric Kaffir Beurre Blanc:
- Put shallots, lemongrass, salt, garlic, and white wine in a large pot and reduce over medium low heat until you have approximately 1 tablespoon of liquid left (about 30 minutes).
- In the same pot add kaffir lime juice, zest, and leaves. On medium low heat, reduce the ingredients to a 1/4 cup of liquid (about 30 - 35 minutes). Strain. Save the liquid and add in turmeric.
- Put the sauce back into the pot over very low heat, then stir in cold butter, one tablespoon at a time, letting it melt completely before adding the next tablespoon. This is when it will emulsify and all come together. Don’t let it get above a simmer and definitely don’t let it boil or it’ll break the sauce.
- Remove from heat, salt to taste, and try to serve immediately.
For Zucchini Puree:
- Sautee Onions, garlic and ginger until soft.
- Add zucchini and cook until the peel is bright green and slightly tender.
- Blend until smooth with lime zest.
- Salt to taste.
- Put in ice bath immediately to maintain color.
- Use a spiralizer to create zucchini noodles from four zucchini.
- Use a peeler to create zucchini ribbons from four zucchini.
- Grill and dice one zucchini.
- Toss four cups of zucchini noodles in corn starch and deep fry at 350 degrees until crispy.
- Heat the olive oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat. Gently place the tofu pieces in the pan, yuba side down. Cook until the yuba is golden brown and crispy, about two minutes on each side.
- In the center of a plate place the zucchini curls some standing up and some laying flat. Squeeze or spoon a little lime juice or salt and sprinkle with salt.
- Slice each piece of tofu into 4 smaller pieces and place on top of zucchini curls.
- Roll up raw zucchini ribbons.
- Toss the crispy zucchini, grilled zucchini and raw ribbons with remaining lime juice, onions, ginger, thai basil, and canola oil. Salt to taste.
- Place salad on top of tofu and garnish with any leftover micro Thai basil.
- Place a couple of zucchini puree dots around the plate.
Simple tools can be used to create a multitude of textures from one vegetable. A peeler creates ribbons, a spiralizer creates noodle-like curls, and different dices and techniques like grilling, frying, and leaving ingredients raw will allow one vegetable to shine in many executions.
- Recipe type: Entrees
- Cuisine: America