A craveable mac & cheese layered with flavors of amber beer and cheddar cheese, finished with a crunchy bacon and French's® Crispy Fried Onions.
- In a heavy bottom pot over medium high heat render fat from diced bacon. Remove bacon bites from fat and reserve. Add butter and melt into bacon fat. Whisk in flour and cook to blond roux .
- Slowly add milk, whisking to avoid lumps. Whisk in beer, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until thickened.
- Add cream cheese, cheddar, American cheese, and black pepper. Simmer, stirring consistently, until cheese is completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Add cooked pasta and reserved bacon to cheese sauce and stir until well combined. Equally divide into 4 oven safe dishes. Hold refrigerated for service.
- Set oven to 350°F. For each serving, bake of portioned dish of mac & cheese until golden brown and bubbling.
- Remove oven and sprinkle with 1/4 cup crispy fried onions. Bake for an additional few minutes to brown onions. Remove from oven and serve hot.
Consider using different beers for a slightly different flavor profile.
- Recipe type: Pasta and Rice