With a slightly spicy, cajun twist, this traditional favorite is sure to ignite a "crave-craze" with mac & cheese fans of all ages!
For the Creole "Blackened" Chicken
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat chicken breast in 1 teaspoon of creole seasoning (or Sysco Imperial Blackened Red Fish Seasoning, if available).
- Place on a parchment lined sheet tray and bake until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F. Allow to cool.
For the Cajun Mac & Cheese
- Bring water to a boil in an 8 quart stockpot, then salt water heavily. Once salted water is at a rapid boil, add pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until pasta is al dente.
- Meanwhile in a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add andouille sausage and cook until slightly browned.
- Add bell peppers and 1-1/2 teaspoons of seasoning and saute until peppers have softened. Sprinkle with flour and cook until flour has slightly browned, about 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly add milk, stirring constantly. Bring mixture to a boil, continuing to stir, reduce heat to low and add cheeses. Stir until cheeses are fully melted.
- When pasta is fully cooked, drain off water and add back to the same pot. Pour cheese sauce over top of pasta and stir up until evenly distributed.
- Dice cooked chicken and add to top of pasta mixture.
For the Garnish & Bake
- In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs with remaining 1/2 teaspoon of seasoning.
- Transfer mac and cheese to desired baking dish (either individual ramekins, half hotel pan or "family style" cook and serve pan) and sprinkle with seasoned breadcrumbs.
- Bake at 350F until breadcrumbs are golden brown. Serve warm.
This makes a great luncheon special or served as a dinner entrée.
Make it ahead and hold for service, then simply bake to order!
- Recipe type: Pasta and Rice
- Cuisine: Cajun and Creole
- NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving)
- Calories: 590
- Sodium: 1000 mg
- Carbohydrates: 57 g
- Protein: 34 g