A classic scratch made cheddar macaroni and cheese.
- In a heavy bottom pot over medium high heat melt butter. Add flour and cook to blond roux.
- Slowly add milk, whisking to avoid lumps. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until thickened.
- Add cream cheese, cheddar, American cheese, and black pepper. Simmer, stirring consistently, until cheese is completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Add cooked macaroni to cheese sauce and stir until well combined. Equally divide into 4 oven safe dishes. Hold refrigerated for service.
- Set oven to 350°F. For each serving, bake of portioned dish of mac & cheese until golden brown and bubbling.
- Remove oven and sprinkle with 1/4 cup crispy fried onions. Bake for an additional few minutes to brown onions. Remove from oven and serve hot.
This recipe can be easily made for a buffet by baking in a hotel pan as opposed to individual portions.
Cheese and sauce can also be left separate for service and heated in a saute pan, making the recipe easy to manipulate on the line.
- Recipe type: Pasta and Rice