A hearty roux based country gravy that you would find at any good Southern restaurant.
- In a sauté pan over medium heat cook ground sausage until no longer pink. Add onion and cook until translucent.
- Add butter and stir until melted. Add flour and stir to evenly coat ingredients. Continue to cook until the roux becomes golden brown and has a nutty aroma.
- Gradually add milk, stirring with each addition to avoid lumps, until all milk has been added. Bring sauce to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until thickened.
- Remove from heat and hold hot for service or chill and refrigerate.
For a version of this gravy with a kick add Frank's RedHot® Original Hot Sauce.
- Recipe type: Sauces Condiments and Spreads