Originally created to inspire and first made in the sunny state of San Diego, this seafood appetizer is guaranteed to make diners swim to your restaurant in waves! Plated with a broth side made from shaved and blended lobster shells, this poached lobster feature is served on a bed of OLD BAY®-seasoned, buttered asparagus.
For the Lobster:
- Bring 2 gallons of water to a boil.
- Squeeze lemon into water and add the rinds.
- Place live lobsters into water and poach for 6 minutes.
- Remove into an ice bath to cool.
- Remove meat from shells, saving 2 cups of poaching liquid and 1 lobsters worth of shells.
- Cut tails in half lengthwise.
For the Lobster Broth:
- In a blender place lobster shells, 2 cups of poaching liquid, red miso paste, lemon juice, and old bay.
- Blend on high until shells have been pulverized.
- Strain through a cheese cloth lined chinois. Reserve.
For the Asparagus Spears:
- Use a peeler to shave the bottom two thirds of the asparagus. Save peels and trim asparagus stalk to 3 inches.
- Heat 1 cup of water over low hear and slowly stir in butter to emulsify.
- Place asparagus in the emulsified butter and add OLD BAY seasoning.
- Remove asparagus when tender and add lobster meat, basting with butter mixture until fully cooked.
For Plating and Garnish:
- Place asparagus spears decoratively on plate, top with one lobster claw, half a tail, and knuckle meat.
- Garnish with asparagus shavings and serve alongside lobster broth.
- Recipe type: Tapas
- Cuisine: America