We are taking your taste buds on a full flavor taste safari to Africa. Featured in our Flavor Forecast 2018, the exciting flavors of Africa will tantalize tongues near and far. These East African edibles take a traditional Indian naan flatbread and load them up with our Flavor Forecast 2018 berbere seasoning blend, along with an umami explosion of taste from our tomato onion jam, tender ground lamb, topped off with goat cheese and scallions. Nacho lovers beware, addictive munching is ahead in every bite!
For the Naan Chips
- Pre heat oven to 350°F. Brush naan with olive oil and sprinkle with berbere. Flip and repeat with remaining oil and berbere. Bake until golden and crisp, about 5 minutes.
For the Tomato Onion Jam
- In a medium sauce pan add oil and heat over medium heat. Add onions and saute until softened.
- Add diced tomatoes with juice, garlic powder, ground ginger, curry powder, honey, lemon juice, and salt. Stir until ingredients are evenly distributed. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until jam has thicken and reduced by 1/4, about 20 minutes.
For the Berbere Spiced Lamb
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook ground lamb, breaking up into small pieces. Sprinkle with berbere seasoning and salt and stir until seasoning is evenly distributed. Hold warm.
For the Build, Garnish & Serve
- Lay half of toasted on on desired serving plate. Top with half of the tomato onion jam, lamb, and goat cheese. Place remaining naan point over top of the first layer and repeat topping with remaining jam, lamb, and goat cheese.
- Garnish with scallions and serve immediately.
Try this nacho-licious appetizer with other ground proteins: chicken, turkey, pork, beef, bison or venison.
Tomato Onion Jam can be made in advance and held appropriately; it can even be used on burgers, sandwiches, crostini, flatbreads, grilled skewers, plus grilled chicken and beef entrees too!
- Recipe type: Appetizers
- Cuisine: Indian
- NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving)
- Calories: 730
- Sodium: 2610 mg
- Carbohydrates: 60 g
- Protein: 34 g