Served golden and crisp, these rice cakes (onigiri) are a delicious way to bring Izakaya pub food to your establishment. Filled with a vibrant mixture of McCormick® Japanese Seven Spice, sesame, chicken and a tangy quick kimchi.
This recipe was developed for the Flavor Forecast: Looking Back to Look Forward.
- In a saucepan over high heat combine rice vinegar, orange juice, sugar, garlic powder, ginger and red pepper and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and cool completely.
- In a bowl combine Napa cabbage, daikon, bell pepper, scallions and salt. Toss until distributed. Pour cooled vinegar mixture over cabbage blend. Mix well. Hold refrigerated until needed.
- In a saucepan over medium high heat bring sushi rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until fully cooked. Fluff with fork and stir in vinegar and sugar. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add chicken, Japanese Seven Spice and salt. Stir to combine and cook thoroughly. Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool.
- Add mayonnaise, sesame seeds and chopped kimchi. Toss until evenly distributed.
- To form onigiri, use a #12 scoop to portion rice into palm of hand and make a deep indentation in rice. Place about 2 tablespoons chicken filling in indentation. Use hands to gently shape rice around filling and form into a 3" patty. Use more rice if necessary to enclose filling. Hold refrigerated for service.
- In a sauté pan over medium high heat add oil. Sear three onigiri until golden and crispy on both sides.
- Place on desired plate and top with 1/4 cup of quick kimchi. Serve warm.
Dip hands in water while making the onigiri to help prevent them from getting too sticky.