In this toasty twist on an Old Fashioned, bourbon is infused with the flavors of vanilla and roasted peanuts. Combined with refreshing citrus and rimmed with candied peanuts, this cocktail is a deliciously unexpected libation.
- Spread peanuts in single layer on lightly greased baking sheet. Roast in preheated 325ºF oven 15 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking. Let cool.
- Mix roasted peanuts, bourbon, and vanilla in airtight container. Let stand at room temperature overnight or longer to extract peanut flavor. Strain roasted peanut bourbon through double layer of cheesecloth or coffee filters into pitcher. Reserve peanuts.
- Place 1 tablespoon of the reserved vanilla bourbon-soaked peanuts in small resealable plastic bag. Close tightly. Pound with a rolling pin or mallet until ground. Pour out onto a small plate. Add sea salt to ground peanuts; mix well. Pour 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice into small shallow dish. Wet outside rims of 4 Old Fashioned (lowball) glasses into lemon juice. Dip into peanut sea salt to coat.
- Stir vermouth, orange juice, and remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice into the roasted peanut bourbon in pitcher. Fill cocktail shaker half full with ice. Add half of the bourbon mixture to the shaker. Cover and shake until well mixed and chilled. Strain into 2 of the prepared glasses. Garnish each with a maraschino cherry. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make 2 more cocktails.
Use the leftover vanilla bourbon-soaked peanuts to make Vanilla Bourbon Candied Peanuts. Mix 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar, 1 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet Ground Saigon Cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet Sicilian Sea Salt in medium bowl. Add the leftover vanilla bourbon peanuts; toss to coat nuts evenly. Spread nuts in single layer on lightly greased baking sheet. Bake in preheated 250°F oven 1 hour, stirring halfway through cooking. Cool slightly and break apart. Cool completely and store in airtight container up to 2 weeks.
- Recipe type: Beverages
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving)
- Calories: 450 cal
- Sodium: 30 mg
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Protein: 1 g