A Montreal Steak® seasoned mushroom "steak", seared crispy and served on a toasted roll with confit tomatoes and arugula.
This recipe was developed for the Flavor Forecast: Looking Back to Look Forward.
- Set oven to 400°F. In an appropriately sized hotel pan combine tomatoes, oil, garlic, Montreal Steak® Seasoning, and rosemary. Ensure tomatoes are fully covered in oil.
- Roast tomatoes for 1 hour. Cool completely and drain tomatoes from oil. Reserve both for service, holding tomatoes refrigerated.
- Set oven to 400°F. Place mushrooms on a parchment lined sheet tray in 4 ounce portions. Coat each in 2 tablespoons of first amount of confit oil and 1/2 teaspoon of Montreal Steak® Seasoning.
- Cover mushrooms with a sheet of parchment paper and another sheet tray. Weigh tray down with several heavy pots or pans. Roast, weighted, until mushrooms have flattened and lost most of their moisture, about 20 minutes. Hold refrigerated for service.
- For each serving, in a sauté pan over high heat sear one portion of mushroom until crisp on both sides.
- Brush the inside of one roll with 1 tablespoon confit oil. Toast roll.
- Build sandwich with 1/4 cup of confit tomatoes on heel of the roll. Top with crispy mushroom, several shavings of asiago cheese, and 1/4 cup of arugula. Finish with crown of roll. Serve warm.
This maitake "steak" is the perfect substitute for proteins on salads, sandwiches, or pasta dishes.
Can be easily made using other clustering mushrooms, such as oyster mushrooms.
- Recipe type: Burgers Tacos and Sandwiches