A hot pastrami sandwich featuring a sweet and spicy caramelized onion mustard.
Spicy Caramelized Onion Mustard
- In a sauté pan on medium-low heat, melt butter and caramelize onions until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Add brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, garlic powder, and pepper. Simmer until brown sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from heat and stir in yellow mustard and cayenne pepper. Hold refrigerated for service.
- Set a panini press to medium heat. For each serving, spread 2 tablespoons of mustard on inside of 1 bread slice.
- Place 4 ounces pastrami, 2 slices Havarti, 4 slices pickle, and 1/4 cup crispy fried onions on another bread slice. Close and butter outside with 2 tablespoons of butter. Place in panini press and grill until cheese is melted.
- Remove from press and cut in half. Serve hot.
Don’t have a panini press? Use a griddle with a hot steak weight to create the same effect.
Try this sandwich with a house made coleslaw for an additional creamy texture.
- Recipe type: Burgers Tacos and Sandwiches