In this intensely indulgent dessert, bittersweet chocolate pairs with fragrant passion fruit to delight all the senses. Garnish with candied fresh basil leaves for an extravagant embellishment.
For the torte:
- Butter 4 (6 ounce ramekins) with 1 tablespoon. of the butter. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon. of the sugar. Place ramekins in a hotel pan. Set aside. Melt remaining 1/2 cup butter and passion fruit liqueur in double boiler over medium heat or in large microwavable bowl on HIGH 2 to 3 minutes, until butter is melted.
- Add chocolate and stir with wire whisk until chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Set aside. Beat eggs, remaining 3 tablespoons sugar, basil, and salt in large bowl with mixer on medium speed 5 minutes or until thickened. Gradually beat in chocolate mixture until well blended. Pour evenly into ramekins. Carefully pour enough hot water into baking pan to come halfway up sides of ramekins. Bake in preheated 325ºF oven 35 to 40 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out mostly clean. Carefully remove ramekins from water bath to wire rack to cool completely.
For the cream:
- Beat mascarpone cheese, passion fruit concentrate, sugar, and vanilla in large bowl with mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 1 minute or until thickened. Cover. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
For the basil leaves:
- Bring 1/2 cup each sugar and water to boil in small saucepan. Reduce heat to low. Add 8 fresh basil leaves; simmer 1 minute. Remove from heat. Using tongs, remove basil leaves to plate spread with 1/4 cup sugar. Gently open leaves and coat on both sides with sugar. Place basil leaves on parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake in preheated 200°F oven 5 minutes or until crisp.
Tortes can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and store in refrigerator. Let stand at room temperature 1 to 2 hours before serving. Torte can also be made into a square or rectangular loaf shape and sliced cold then shingled on the plate to create a chocolate pate presentation.
- Recipe type: Desserts
- Cuisine: America
- NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving)
- Calories: 450
- Sodium: 190 mg
- Carbohydrates: 47 g
- Protein: 6 g