Have your cake, eat it too and enjoy pudding and ice cream at the same time! All possible with this decadent dessert from Hexagon Restaurant’s Chef Sean MacDonald. Alongside cake made with garbanzo beans, brown sugar and melted milk chocolate, Chef MacDonald brings spices to the side of the plate with his McCormick Culinary Red Pepper’d Chili Chocolate Pudding and Thai Coconut Milk-made ice cream. For extra flavorful flair, add the pudding in a decorative manner, custom to your restaurant’s design.
For the Coconut Lime Leaf Ice Cream:
- In a medium sized pot, heat Thai Kitchen Coconut Milk, salt and lime leaf over medium high heat until it comes to a simmer. Remove from heat and let steep for 20 minutes.
- In a bowl, place egg yolks and sugar. Whisk eggs and sugar together until creamy. Take out lime leaves from Thai Kitchen Coconut Milk. Bring the Thai Kitchen Coconut Milk to a simmer then temper over egg mixture.
- Pour contents back into pot and cook over medium heat using a spatula to stir down the sides. Bring mixture up to 82 degrees Celsius.
- Transfer contents to an ice cream machine or set to freeze in a pacojet container.
- Once ice cream has been made, put it into a food safe container and leave in the freezer until needed.
For the Chili Chocolate Pudding:
- Combine milk, half of the sugar and salt in a medium sized sauce pan and bring up to a simmer.
- Whisk together egg yolks, corn starch and the other half of the sugar in a mixing bowl. Using the whisk, slowly temper the heated liquids into egg yolk mixture.
- Transfer tempered mixture back into the pot, and cook over medium heat until it reaches 82 degrees Celsius.
- Strain mixture through a chinois onto butter in a medium sized bowl. Mix until incorporated.
- Melt chocolate over a double boiler (bain-marie) and mix into the pudding cream, adding McCormick Culinary Red Pepper, Crushed and powder. Chill mixture until firm for plating.
For the Garbanzo Bean Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease a small cake pan with butter. Melt chocolate in a double boiler.
- Using a food processor, combine the garbanzo beans (chickpeas) and eggs until smooth. Add sugars, salt and baking soda and pulse until incorporated.
- Pour in melted chocolate and blend until smooth.
- Transfer batter into cake pan and bake for about 25-30 minutes.
- Let cool in pan at room temperature for 15 minutes before transferring to a plate.
- Plate a portion of the cake alongside ice cream and using a piping bag, add the pudding in a decorative manner.
- Recipe type: Desserts
- Cuisine: America