An innovative take on the classic gingersnap cookie, this creamy dessert is topped with a crunchy sugar crust and a drizzle of cinnamon caramel plus another drizzle of ginger-spiced cream.
For the main recipe:
- Lightly coat 10 (5-ounce) ramekins or shallow fluted dishes with butter. Place in shallow roasting pan. Set aside.
- For the Gingersnap Crème Brûlée, place almond milk, heavy cream and gingersnaps in blender container; cover. Blend on medium speed until smooth. Add seeds from vanilla bean and ginger; mix well. Pour into medium saucepan on medium heat. Bring to simmer, stirring constantly.
- Beat egg yolks and granulated sugar in large bowl with wire whisk until pale yellow. Gradually whisk in hot almond milk mixture. Strain through fine strainer or cheesecloth. Pour into ramekins, filling each about 1/2 full. Carefully pour enough hot water into roasting pan to come halfway up sides of ramekins.
- Bake in preheated 325ºF oven 25 to 30 minutes or until custards are almost set in center. Cool custards in water bath. Remove from water bath. Cover each custard with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Sprinkle 1 1/2 teaspoons of the Sugar In The Raw® evenly over each custard. Holding a hand-held torch 4" from the sugar, lightly brown the sugar using a slow even motion. Remove the flame just before desired degree of browning is reached, as the sugar will continue to brown for a few seconds. Let stand 2 minutes to allow topping to harden.
For the drizzle and spiced cream:
- Meanwhile, for the Caramel Drizzle, mix all ingredients in small bowl. Set aside. For the Ginger-Spiced Cream, beat all ingredients in medium bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form and mixture holds its shape. Top each crème brûlée with Ginger-Spiced Cream and Caramel Drizzle.
Sugar topping can also be browned under a broiler. Place custards on a baking sheet. Let stand 5 minutes to allow custards to come to room temperature. Broil 6" from heat for 4 to 6 minutes or until sugar is melted and golden brown.
- Recipe type: Desserts
- Cuisine: French
- Prep time: 30 minutes
- NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving)
- Calories: 353 cal
- Sodium: 231 mg
- Carbohydrates: 46 g
- Protein: 4 g