Made with both pandan extract and filled with pandan kaya custard, these donuts are a sweet way to enjoy the coconutty, eggy flavor of the popular Malyasian green jam.
- In a blender, combine water and pandan leaves. Puree until well blended. Strain liquid through cheesecloth and discard solids.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with dough hook combine pandan water and yeast. Stir to hydrate yeast. Add eggs, malted milk powder, flours, shortening, and vanilla.
- Mix on a medium-low speed until a smooth dough has formed, about 15 minutes. Refrigerate overnight to bulk ferment.
- Set fryer to 350°F. Remove dough from refrigerator. Roll dough out 1" thick and cut with a 1 1/2" cutter. Allow to proof for 15 minutes.
- Fry dough until golden brown on both sides. Drain and cool.
- Place pandan kaya in a piping bag with a straight tip. Pipe kaya into the center of each doughnut.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve ambient with additional Homemade Pandan Kaya on the side.
This doughnut base is perfect for any doughnut shapes or desired filling!