Created by Concept 278 San Diego’s Chef Rachel Snyder, ladle on the flavor as you garnish charred octopus in a great McCormick Culinary® Ground Black Peppered gazpacho, sided with fresh seaweed and a topping of cayenne roasted hazelnuts. For best results before plating, sear the octopus legs until charred in a pre-smoked sauce pan olive oil.
For the Pickled Grapes:
- In medium pot, combine water, vinegar, sugar, salt, pickling spice and bring to a boil for 5 minutes.
- Pour over green grapes in a quart container or any container with an air tight lid. Let chill in fridge overnight.
For the Spanish Octopus:
- Set sous vide circulator in a container with enough water, and set to 180.
- In a large sauce pot, bring salted water to a boil. Individually dip octopus legs in water for 3 seconds. Do this about 5 times until all legs are blanched. Legs should hold up a curl.
- After each leg is blanched, place in ice bath.
- Dry legs by setting on paper towels, and pat dry. Vacuum seal legs with all ingredients above.
- Place in sous vide bath for 3.5 hours. Remove and cool in fridge. Remove from bag, wiping off any of the gelatin on the legs.
- Generously season legs with smoked paprika.
- When ready to plate, in a large sauce pan (to give the legs space to sear well), heat olive oil till smoking. Sear legs until charred.
For the Green Grape Gazpacho:
- In a Vitamix blender, combine all ingredients except olive oil. Turn on blender, slowly bringing speed up to medium-high. Slowly stream the olive oil in blender until smooth.
For the Cayenne Roasted Hazelnuts:
- In large bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix together until hazelnuts are coated evenly.
- Place on a half sheet tray lined with parchment.
- Toast nuts at 350 for 10 minutes.
- Let cool completely, then place in Ziploc bag. Gently smash hazelnuts with back of wooden spoon.
- In desired plate or shallow bowl, ladel 8oz of gazpacho. Place 2 charred octopus legs in center, one on top of the other. Pick about 2oz of fresh red ogo seaweed, place next to legs. Set pickled grape halves in random spots around legs.
- Place hazelnuts on two sides of plate, staying parallel. Carefully place Oyster Flower next to seaweed, and a few flower leaves in random spots as well. Finish by sprinkling octopus with sea salt, and drizzling chili oil around gazpacho.
- Recipe type: Entrees
- Cuisine: America