Our mouthwatering marvel of edible goodness, a pretzel flatbread, with beer cheese, gives your guests everything they could desire in one amazing flavor-filled combination: beer cheese, bratwurst, caramelized onions, bacons, and a delicious pretzel crust...now that's how you re-invent a classic!
For the Caramelized Onions
- For the caramelized onions: In a large skillet heat bacon fat over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions have softened and reduced in size.
- Combine vinegar and smokehouse maple seasoning. Drizzle over skillet with onions and continue to cook until onions begin to caramelize and there is no liquid left. Cool and set aside.
For the Beer Cheese
- Heat bacon fat in a medium sauce pan over medium high heat. In a small bowl combine flour, seasonings, and salt. Cook until flour smells nutty and spices are fragrant. Slowly whisk in beer and milk. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Add cheeses and stir until cheese is fully melted.
For the Flatbread
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Divide pizza dough into 4 balls. Add baking soda to hot water and stir until baking soda is dissolved. Roll dough balls into rectangles and dock. Carefully dip each crust into the baking soda solution. Place onto and oiled half sheet tray. Repeat for remaining crusts.
For the Build, Garnish & Serving
- Top crust with 1/2 cup of beer cheese. Place 1/4 of sliced bratwurst in an even layer overtop of beer cheese. Sprinkle with 1/4 of the caramelized onion mixture and 2 Tbsp of crumbled bacon. Bake in oven until cheese sauce is bubbling and crust has darkened to the color of a pretzel.
- Top with 1 Tbsp of slivered scallions. Serve immediately. (Repeat with remaining crusts as needed.)
This recipe makes 8 servings.
Sprinkle crust with pretzel salt to elevate the "pretzel crust" idea. Can also be made with premade crust or any of your favorite pizza doughs.
- Recipe type: Pizza and Flatbread
- Cuisine: German
- NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving)
- Calories: 700
- Sodium: 1900 mg
- Carbohydrates: 60 g
- Protein: 27 g