The complete package of texture, flavor and heat starring shallots, garlic and Sichuan peppercorns.
- In a saucepot, over medium-low heat combine oil, shallots, garlic, star anise, sliced pepper, cinnamon sticks, and Sichuan peppercorns. Bring to a simmer and allow to fry slowly until shallots and garlic are dark golden in color.
- While mixture is slow frying, in a bowl combine crushed red pepper, soy sauce, smoked paprika, sesame seeds, ginger, and sugar. Stir to combine.
- Once garlic and shallots have become golden brown, strain hot oil into crushed red pepper mixture. Allow fried items to cool to crisp up.
- Combine oil mixture with the crisped fried items. Hold refrigerated until needed.
This chili crisp is a great condiment or ingredient that packs a ton of flavor along with a good hit of heat.
- Recipe type: Sauces Condiments and Spreads