- Toast coriander, cumin, and caraway seeds in a dry saute pan until fragrant. Allow to cool and grind. Set aside.
- In the same saute pan, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil oven medium high heat. Add red onion, garlic, and crushed red pepper. Cook until onions begin to caramelize and crushed red pepper starts to char. Transfer mixture to the pitcher of a blender.
- Add roasted red peppers, tomato paste, lemon juice, smoked paprika, salt, and toasted ground seeds. Blend, slowly adding remaining extra virgin olive oil. Blend until smooth. Transfer to holding vessel and refrigerate until needed.
- Serve cool as a finishing sauce, or use as a component for another recipe.
Combine harissa and mayo in a 1:1 ratio to make a creamy dipping sauce or spread with layered flavor.
- Recipe type: Seasoning Blends Marinades and Rubs
- Cuisine: Tunisian