Pieces of caramel and black pepper enhance the savoriness of nori seaweed in this sweet take on the umami-loaded Japanese furikake spice blend. Sprinkled over ice cream or stirred into trail mix, it’s a simple way to dial up the wow-factor in desserts.
- In a sauté pan, over medium-heat melt sugar until golden brown. Pour onto silicone baking mat and let cool completely.
- In a food processor, combine sesame seeds, bonito flakes, nori, and sea salt in food processor. Pulse until mixture is well blended but not powdered. Transfer to bowl and set aside.
- Into same food processor break up cooled caramel and pulse until crumbled. Add to bowl with sesame mixture.
- Add salt and black pepper to sesame caramel mixture and stir until well mixed. Hold in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
Use this on ice cream or even on housemade trail-mixes for a surprising hit of sweet umami flavor.
- Recipe type: Seasoning Blends Marinades and Rubs