One of the best parts of summer is the squash, and do we have a squash special for you. Created by sunny San Francisco's Chef Kim Alter, Chef-Owner of Nightbird Restaurant and Linden Room, this refreshing squash and cucumber appetizer will have diners blossoming with happiness while taste buds swim in summery flavors. Lawry's Lemon Pepper Seasoning makes squash sing in this light yet indulgent vegetarian option.
For the Charred Cucumber-Squash Condiment:
- Char squash and cucumber and season with salt.
- Once cooled, cut into bite size pieces and set aside.
For the Pickling Liquid:
- In a small pot, bring vinegar, water, wine, salt, sugar and Lawry's Lemon Pepper Seasoning to a boil.
- Pour mixture over squash and cucumber. Let sit for 1 hour.
- In a medium bowl, mix the cucumbers and squash.
- Add 3 Tablespoons of pickling liquid to vegetables, McCormick Culinary parsley flakes and season with salt. Set aside.
For the Squash Blossoms Filled with Lemon Pepper Scented Ricotta:
- Clean squash blossoms by taking out the piston, but keep it in tact. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix ricotta, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic confit, salt and Lawry's Lemon Pepper seasoning. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Using a Tablespoon, delicately spoon the ricotta mixture into the squash blossoms.
- Once filled, get a large sauce pan and heat on medium heat.
- Put 3 Tablespoons of oil in the pan and place squash blossoms in pan. Season with salt.
- Flip over once until golden brown and reserve.
- Plate squash and top with charred squash and cucumbers.
- Garnish with raw squash and cucumbers.
For an alternate dish, chop all the ingredients and add to a quick service pasta dish or pair the vegetables with a fresh white fish for a seafood option.
- Recipe type: Tapas
- Cuisine: Californian