Fritto Misto, which means fried mix, is a classic Italian appetizer. A vegetable lovers delight with lightly fried artichokes and fennel with a creamy aioli dipping sauce.
For the Fritto Misto
- Clean artichokes by slicing off upper two thirds of each bulb. Trim stems. Cut each artichoke in half and steam until a knife can just piece through easily.
- Immediately shock the artichokes in ice water. Trim off outer tough leaves. Pull out the choke.
- Slice the fennel bulb thinly.
- Cut the lemons into rounds.
- In a medium bowl add buttermilk, trimmed artichokes, cut fennel and lemons. Refrigerate for 30-60 minutes.
- Place the flour in a separate bowl and add the Lawry’s Lemon & Pepper seasoning. Mix very well to combine.
- Drain the artichokes, fennel and lemons from the buttermilk.
- Heat the fryer to 350°F.
- Dredge the vegetables and lemons in the seasoned flour and place in the hot oil. Cook about 3 minutes until golden brown. With tongs transfer the fried vegetables to a paper towel.
- Sprinkle with salt and serve on a platter with the aioli sauce
For the Aioli Sauce
- Make the aioli sauce by whisking all the ingredients together in a medium bowl.
On a serving platter pile the fried artichokes and fennel in the center. Garnish with fried lemon slices and pieces of fennel fronds.
Save time and make the aioli while the fritto misto is in the refrigerator.
- Recipe type: Appetizers
- Cuisine: Italian
- Prep time: 30 minutes active/30-60 minutes inactive
- NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving)
- Calories: 870
- Sodium: 680 mg
- Carbohydrates: 60 g
- Protein: 11 g