A twist on chile rellenos, mild pickled peppers are filled with Mexican chorizo sausage, ancho chile pepper and chili powder, making a perfect bite-sized appetizer.
This recipe was developed for the Flavor Forecast: Looking Back to Look Forward.
- In a food processor combine chorizo, tomato, quinoa, cilantro, first amount of ancho chile, chili powder, and garlic. Pulse until ingredients are evenly distributed. Transfer mixture to piping bag.
- Fill each pepper with chorizo mixture and top with crumbled queso fresco. Hold refrigerated for service.
- In a bowl whisk together Mexican crema, lime juice, and second amount of ancho chile. Place in squeeze bottle and hold refrigerated for service.
- Set oven to 375°F. For each serving, place 5 stuffed peppers on a sizzle platter. Roast until filling reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Plate as desired and drizzle with seasoned Mexican crema. Serve hot.
This is a great option for buffets and cocktail hours. Roast off peppers are once and serve in a chafing dish or as a passed hors d'oeuvres!